Sunday, September 21, 2008

Voting Age

Back in the primary season, I was watching the news when a girl of about the age of 11 or so came on and started to talk about her experience interviewing Mitt Romney the night before. She was then asked about her feelings regarding foreign policy, and her articulation was absolutely impeccable. Not only were her sentences pretty, but they had a deep insight to the issues at hand. I was stunned and inspired.

Later that day, my neighbor of 35 years of age decided to come over to talk to my mom about the Iraqi Conflict. (I refuse to call it a war since Congress didn't) She said things like:

"I'll be glad when we kill that Saddam Hussein after what he did on 9/11."

Keep in mind that this is a year after Saddam Hussein was executed.

Essentially, she knew absolutely nothing of the world or the issues surrounding it, which is absolutely fine. I don't believe all of us should be political experts or trained debaters. My point is simply this:

Should the voting age be so shallow as to deny the extremely well informed 11 year old reporter and accept the completely ignorant 35 year old woman?

My personal opinion is absolutely not. I think there should be a test on basic governmental knowledge that one would have to pass in order to vote. But that's just me...

Let's see what you have to say.

No comments: